Pages

Friday, July 27, 2012

a new "uniform": the blazer

My wardrobe has been under construction for awhile, now, really. Losing weight has forced me to buy some new clothes, and given that I'm not made of money I have to be fairly strategic about what to buy. I look at basics, and at pieces that can help me stretch what I already have. Starting the new job recently has also made me examine how professional my wardrobe is, and how to up the ante in that respect.

There's been a runaway favourite here, that's really become my new staple piece of clothing. The blazer. I mean, it's practically like the orange leather jacket, or my awesome vintage coat but I can wear them every day. And oh wow, do they dress up even the most casual of outfits.

My workplace is pretty casual. The description is more casual business than business casual. Emphasis on the casual. Jeans and a tee shirt are completely acceptable wear. Except I don't feel professional in just jeans and a tee shirt. Feeling professional and put together in my work clothes helps set my mindset for the workday.

And you know what? A blazer on top of anything makes me feel professional. Over the past month or so I've managed to make a little collection. I have cropped blazers and normal length, I have lightweight cotton blazers in teal, coral, royal blue, and white. I even have two black blazers. One button, two button and three button blazers are all represented in my closet. I even have my fancy interview blazer that looks like a conductor's jacket. I have cropped blazers, and full length blazers. I'm just a little bit in love with these blazers.

I throw one on over skinny jeans and a tank top, and suddenly I feel professional, polished and put together. I feel chic and stylish. I can throw one on over any of my dresses, and I look like I actually put a little extra thought into my outfit. If I'm wearing neutrals underneath, I put on a colourful blazer to add some "pop" to the look, if I'm otherwise colourful the black or the white blazer grounds the look (also, I am on the lookout for dark and light grey, navy blue and brown blazers. I'm addicted).

Do you have a piece of clothing that you are almost always wearing? Or a new fashion addiction? If so, what is it??

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about the blazer. Used rock them all the time as a high school teacher, usually over a collared shirt or graphic tee, paired with jeans and boots. (Somehow I got away with this!)

    My fashion addiction for the past 2 summers is short empire waist summer dresses paired with funky earrings and flip flops. If I could wear this every day I would -- even though people always mistake me for pregnant!

    On work wardrobes: I struggle with creating one that fits my personality and style. Good to hear that you have some "fashion freedom" at your new job.

    ReplyDelete