Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2012

review: fool

I hate to admit this, but I have never been so glad to just be done with a book as I was with Fool. Which surprised me because I enjoy my Christopher Moore, although the last book I read wasn't my favourite. I couldn't wait to put this book down and finally be done with it.

But the thing is it wasn't bad. The humour was good. The twists on King Lear were interesting enough, I suppose. Somehow using the plotline of Lear as the story just didn't work as well as I would have liked - there wasn't enough space for Moore's crazy creativity to shine through. He told the story in a hilariously funny way, I just didn't find it super engaging.

Part of the problem may have been that it's been so long since I've read King Lear that I was completely unfamiliar with the story. I might have enjoyed the humourous take more if I'd have been familiar with the plotline.

I'm a little sad that I didn't like this one so much. Somehow I feel like I'm at fault for not enjoying it more. But I'm very much looking forward to my next books: I've got some fantasy waiting for me, and I've been recommended some distopian literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment