Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

orange ginger stir fry sauce

When I make a standard meal around the house I don't really expect a big reaction. Given how often stir fries are made here, I figure they'd be kind of boring. I could not have been more mistaken, as I discovered the other day when Bunny came home to a big mixing cup full of stir fry sauce on the counter. He did a little dance, even.

This time I'm not going to give the actual instructions on the stir fry, because honestly? We've been there, done that so many times. You know the drill, cut your stuff into chunks and add it in based on what the cooking times are.

What I am going to give you is a variation on my standard sauce. This is a simple variation but it was a real hit. Hoisin still forms the base, but orange and ginger are dominant flavours. With the sweetness of the orange I did dial up the amount of chili oil I use, and dialed down the soy sauce to keep things from getting too liquid. The beautiful thing about a good stir fry is just how variable it is. Find your flavours and play from there. Don't be afraid to try new things.

Orange Ginger Stir Fry Sauce

Ingredients
  • 2/3 cup hoisin sauce
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • zest of 1 orange
  • juice of 1 orange
  • chili flakes in oil
  • 3 tbsp minced or grated ginger (a zester is the perfect tool for this)
  • a dash of fish sauce
Directions
  1. In large measuring cup or small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Stir until mixed. Let sit for 1 hour, use in stir fry.
  2. If not using the same day, cover and store in the fridge.

1 comment:

  1. I'm exactly looking for a delicious recipe for my breakfast for tomorrow. I think this one is the best and perfect food for me. Thank you for sharing your great recipe!

    Stir Fry Recipe

    ReplyDelete