Pages

Sunday, March 11, 2012

beef stew

Tonight we're planning on having one of the simplest dinners I know how to make: beef stew. In fact, it's so easy that I almost think that beef stew is a cop out dinner. This is the process:

  • Beef cubes, to be browned in the dutch oven.
  • Quickly sear off some chunked up carrots and potatoes, to give them some texture on the outside.
  • Cook up some onions and minced garlic for flavour.
  • Cover it all with beef broth, and let slowly simmer all afternoon.
  • Near the end, I'll throw in some green beans and frozen peas for colour and extra nutrients and adjust my seasonings.

Later, I'll send Bunny to the corner store to pick up some crusty bread to dip into the lovely juices and we'll enjoy this, maybe with a glass of wine. (Or not.)

It's not a dinner I make too often, but essentially these are the types of dinners that are the mainstays of our diets. Things that take minimal prep work, that can cook unsupervised for long periods of time, and that end up with deliciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment