Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

cheater meals - club house alfredo with asparagus and fake crab

Some weeks I get shafted at work. By which I mean I get the late shift, and while I get lovely mornings to myself to read and quilt and have a fancy pancake and spiced apple breakfast (yes, I will share that eventually, as it's a favourite) I come home after 9pm tired and cranky and the last thing I want to do at that moment is make dinner. Sometimes I'll luck out and my mom or Bunny will have something ready for me, other times there are leftovers (if I'm smart I made soup earlier in the week), but some days I get home at about 9:30 and am faced with the task of making dinner. Which doesn't make me a happy camper to begin with at that hour, but it's why I have cheater hacks.

Not every meal needs to be fancy. For the most part, all that most meals need is some carbs, some protein and some great vegetables. Nights like this, I'll rely on some prepackaged foods that I usually avoid, like a packet of Club House alfredo sauce and some imitation crab. Spruced up with some asparagus, fresh parmesan and a clove or two of garlic and things get good. Or at least, my mom and Bunny get happy and I stop being grumpy.

Spruced Up Club House Alfredo with Crab and Asparagus

Ingredients
  • 1/2 package of rotini or penne
  • 1 package imitation crab
  • 1 bunch asparagus
  • fresh parmesan
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, minced (or, if you really feel like cheating you can buy this stuff in jars)
  • 1 packet Club House alfredo sauce and related ingredients
    • 3/4 cups milk
    • 3 tbsp butter or margarine
Directions
  1. Bring a large pot of well salted water to boil.
  2. Rinse asparagus. Snap off the ends - wherever they snap naturally is good. Roughly chop the aspargus lengths into thirds and set aside.
  3. Cut the "crab" into inch long slices.
  4. When water comes to a boil, put pasta and set timer according to package directions. Depending on the dried pasta you're using here this will probably be between 7-11 minutes. Keep an eye on the time and when there are five minutes left throw the asparagus into the pot with the pasta.
  5. In a large saute pan over medium heat, melt the butter.
  6. Throw the garlic in once butter is melted, stir for about 2 minutes.
  7. Add the milk to the butter-garlic mixtures, as well as the Club House packet. Stir around until it's an even mix. Stir occasionally as the sauce comes to a light simmer, which is where things start to thicken.
  8. When the timer goes, add the crab pieces to the alfredo sauce. Drain the pasta and asparagus.
  9. Add the pasta and vegetables to the sauce, mix until everything is evenly coated. Grate about 1/4 cup fresh parm over the pasta, stir around again.
  10. Eat. If you're me, then promptly go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment