Of course there are many schools of thought on brownies. Cakey, fudgey, goey. Frosted or left bare. My own personal needs in a brownie include being intensely chocolately, more to the fudgey side than the cakey, dense but still moist, no nuts. Most importantly, I appreciate a perfect, unfrosted, crinkly crust. The crust makes the brownie.
My favourite recipe comes from a book called 1001 Cookies, and is a surprising hit. The technique for the sugar and the butter pretty much makes the recipe, in my opinion. The liquidy syrup is one of the most delicious things I have ever seen. Originally, they are espresso brownies (which I adore), but it would be easy enough to change that. Substitute creme de menthe, or even Baileys (!), or whatever other liquidy goodness your heart desires. As always, I double if not triple the vanilla requested, and I adore it. If you're making a brownie with nuts, maybe use nut extract or nut butter somewhere in here. I also upped the chocolate factor ... but they're brownies!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/3 cups sugar (of your choice. I like brown here, but white works.)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips, or coarsely chopped semi- or bittersweet chocolate (depending on your tastes)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter
- double espresso shot
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- In a medium bowl mix flour, salt and baking powder.
- In a sauce pot, melt butter and sugar until fully incorporated. (This is the most glorious twist on creaming butter I've ever experienced.
- Remove from heat, add espresso and stir until combined. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- When slightly cool, add eggs and vanilla, mixing until combined and glossy. Add chocolate chunks, mixing until fully melted in.
- Mix in cocoa powder.
- Stir in flour mixture until everything is evenly distributed and you have a uniform consistency.
- Spread into 9x9 square pan (or, if you are lame like me a 9 inch cake pan), and bake for 30-35 minutes (32 was perfect for me), or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.