Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

brownie love

Anyone who doesn't adore chocolate probably shouldn't bother reading this. It won't do them any good. Because what I'm talking about today is something loaded with chocolate. One of my favourite baked goods. The one that I go waaaaay overboard on (moreso than Bunny): brownies.

Of course there are many schools of thought on brownies. Cakey, fudgey, goey. Frosted or left bare. My own personal needs in a brownie include being intensely chocolately, more to the fudgey side than the cakey, dense but still moist, no nuts. Most importantly, I appreciate a perfect, unfrosted, crinkly crust. The crust makes the brownie.

My favourite recipe comes from a book called 1001 Cookies, and is a surprising hit. The technique for the sugar and the butter pretty much makes the recipe, in my opinion. The liquidy syrup is one of the most delicious things I have ever seen. Originally, they are espresso brownies (which I adore), but it would be easy enough to change that. Substitute creme de menthe, or even Baileys (!), or whatever other liquidy goodness your heart desires. As always, I double if not triple the vanilla requested, and I adore it. If you're making a brownie with nuts, maybe use nut extract or nut butter somewhere in here. I also upped the chocolate factor ... but they're brownies!

Espresso Brownies

Ingredients
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 1/3 cups sugar (of your choice. I like brown here, but white works.)
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 cup chocolate chips, or coarsely chopped semi- or bittersweet chocolate (depending on your tastes)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • double espresso shot
  • 1 tbsp vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350*F.
  2. In a medium bowl mix flour, salt and baking powder.
  3. In a sauce pot, melt butter and sugar until fully incorporated. (This is the most glorious twist on creaming butter I've ever experienced.
  4. Remove from heat, add espresso and stir until combined. Let cool for 5 minutes.
  5. When slightly cool, add eggs and vanilla, mixing until combined and glossy. Add chocolate chunks, mixing until fully melted in.
  6. Mix in cocoa powder.
  7. Stir in flour mixture until everything is evenly distributed and you have a uniform consistency.
  8. Spread into 9x9 square pan (or, if you are lame like me a 9 inch cake pan), and bake for 30-35 minutes (32 was perfect for me), or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
These will be delicious and you should eat them often. If you are like me you will become thoroughly addicted to them. Very dangerous.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a total brownie weirdo. I actually prefer them without that crinkly crust that I know all true brownie lovers enjoy. I like them dense and super chocolatey, but smooth on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a lot of people who aren't crust fans on brownies. Brownies are, I think, one of those foods that can polarize people a little bit.

      Delete