Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

style spotlight: ode to my closet

Dear Closet:

I love you, but we need to have a serious talk. You've always been good to me, but these issues we have? They're growing. They are getting a little bit out of control. We're not working together anymore; in fact I sometimes think you're working against me.

It's frustrating me to no end. You have lots of beautiful things, but I don't really know what to do with them. It doesn't help that a lot of the clothes in there don't fit anymore. Also not helpful is the fact that so many of your contents are old: things I bought on sale in high school and university. Not to say that there aren't some great pieces from those times .... but not all of them are still me.

And the organization? It's so not working. That's not all your fault though, I let Bunny put the clothes away even though I know he doesn't sort them the same way as I do. Maybe I need to give some more thought to how you're layed out. I should probably come up with a better system for organizing you.

I've tried to make our relationship better, I really have. And I'm still going. I'm trying to identify the gaps that you have, the things I need to fill you with. I've taken piles of old things I don't wear to the donation box in the laundry room. But really? We've got to sort this out.

And so, we've got some rules here. Some things we have to do, a project if you will. Every week, for the next little while, we'll take stock. We'll look at things I love and things I don't. What we'll do:
  • Locate and discard one item that I don't love anymore and get rid of it
  • Come up with one new outfit that I would wear to work or out (new being the operative word. If I've worn the items together in the past it doesn't count.)
  • Do one style spotlight post, on either items I love and why I love them, or items that I want and why I need them
The other thing we need to do, closet? Invest in some tailoring. There are those two gorgeous winter skirts Bunny bought me when I got my first full time job, and they're 3 sizes too big now. They are beautiful and well made though, so I think they are worth another $20 to have them taken in. The items that aren't worth tailoring? It's time to get rid of them. We need to work on this.

Let's get it together.

Shhhhhhhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment