Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2012

people do not own people

This breaks my heart that I'm reading about a case of human trafficking occurring in Canada. I mean, I know I shouldn't be surprised. This is an issue I pay attention to, and it's one has been known to get me so worked up I can't form a coherent sentence. It is ridiculous that in this world, these days, such a thing as slavery still exists. Not just in the developing world, but in industrialized nations. In North America. In my home.

That's how this feels; like this issue is literally invading my home. It makes me feel unsafe, like my own autonomy and freedom are at risk. That's the thing though: when we allow any one person's freedom to be taken away, when just one person gets away with "owning" another individual it impedes on everyone's freedom, everyone's security. No one should have to go through this.

So when a human trafficking ring is busted in northern Alberta, my heart hurts. When a religious leader is implicated in that bust is blows my mind.

I don't know where to go from here, and I don't think there are any easy answers. But this is something I can't simply turn a blind eye to, I need to stand up and acknowlege this and be very, very clear: This is not ok. I am not ok living in a world where people treat other people with this level of disrepect and contempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment