Pages

Monday, December 24, 2012

why Christmas is my favourite holiday

Four years ago today I walked into my next door neighbour's home and met the rest of my life. Since then, Christmas has become my favourite holiday of all.

I don't know if I've ever revealed here the fact that meeting Bunny was love at first sight for me. Although I'd known of him for fifteen years (being that I knew his family well), he'd only actually lived next door for about eight months when I was eight years old, and we'd never had an actual conversation. I probably hadn't seen him at all in the ten years before he became my everything.

In the years since the only way I can describe meeting Bunny is this: pure magic. There was a literal shift that I felt inside myself, there were stars in my vision and a knowledge with absolute certainty that this man was the person I would spend the rest of my life with. The axis that my universe was on reoriented itself to accomodate him. I still can't entirely accurately explain that evening.

The next day I remember talking to a friend in utter disbelief and telling her that I had just met the man I would marry. I went back to school and had the same conversation with other close friends and was met with the response of: who are you and what have you done with the Sheryl we know? Treating a relationship, or a potential relationship, with any sense of seriousness was out of character for me.

Before Bunny I never believed in love at first sight. I didn't even particularly believe in romantic love in general. That moment changed everything.

I'll be taking the next few days off to spend time with family and cherish the time we have together. Hopefully your holidays are as wonderful as I anticpate mine being.

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, what a coincidence, I also met the boy on a Christmas day, must be magic... You can read the story here, and it also makes for a favorite holiday. We also had a very strong connection right away, we could not stop talking to each other and there was a familiar-ness, like we had always known each other.
    I wish you a very Merry Christmas, and may your deepest wishes be fulfilled in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! That's such a sweet story you two have! Even though the details are different there's a lot of similarity there. There's definitely a little bit of extra Christmas magic at work, methinks.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! Here's hoping the new year has great things in store for you as well.

      Delete