Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2012

life, and cooking

I get to make dinner tonight. It's almost crazy how excited I am about that, but the fact is that I love to cook, and I haven't had any hands on time in the kitchen since mid-May. Which is almost unthinkable to me, but it's true.

So I'll be making simple stuff tonight: from scratch fried rice and pre-packaged potstickers. Maybe I'll even do some glazed carrots. Later in the week holds the promise of spinach dip and stuffed mushrooms, breaded chicken with roasted mini potatoes, and macaroni and cheese. Among other things. Such as broccoli to roast for lunches and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Yum.

Notwithstanding the fact that being able to cook is awesome, in and of itself, there are lots of other benefits here. First being that my mom has essentially given me free reign over the grocery list, and doesn't seem to have much of a budget (though it doesn't stop me from constantly looking over the sales and choosing off-brands for the price). Which is just super fun. Even better, though, is the fact that me cooking also makes my mom's life a little easier, what with coming home and not having to worry about dinner about half the time. Yeah that bit rocks hard, I think.

The bit that I don't quite want to admit is that having some control over what I'm eating and how it's prepared makes me feel better. Life today doesn't resemble anything I ever could have expected a month ago, which isn't the end of the world. It makes me feel very off balance though, like I'm flailing wildly in the wind. Cooking is something that makes me feel normal again. So I'm excited to be doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment