Pages

Tuesday, January 08, 2013

babies need blankets too

So the quilt I've been working on, and updating you on? It's currently on the backburner, at least for the next month or two. There are a few reasons for this. I'm not 100% thrilled with how the top has come out, although recognizing that it's a first effort and knowing I learned a lot from the mistakes is important. It was a learning process and maybe got a little more out of control (aka, bigger) than was intended.

Mostly though the reason is another project and an outside time constraint. See, I would really like to have a quilt made for my new baby niece or nephew when they arrive in about four and a half months - it's even one of my 2013 goals. I'm maybe a little bit overworried about the time, to be honest.

Just working on the quilt top, I've definitely learned a lot from the last project I had. I've made quicker work of cutting and piecing the fabrics, and while I have veered a little bit from the pattern I'd planned to follow I'm sticking pretty close to the original plan. I'm more confident marking off my seams and using a 1/4" seam rather than oversizing things. I've also managed to do some fun things, like incorporating pinwheels into the pattern which ended up being easier than I'd expected it to be.

At this point, I'm working on my final two quilt blocks and then taking a look to see if I'm going to add sashing (going horizontally but not vertically) for size and working on the pieced border I have planned.

Much quicker going this time round. Granted, baby quilts are much smaller (maybe a quarter of the size?) and granted I do have some more experience with what I'm doing, but heck this is really coming along!

No comments:

Post a Comment