Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

dinnertime hits revisied

My mom kicked it out of the park with grocery shopping the other week. So many beautiful vegetables came home that I couldn't help but be inspired and spend almost every night in the kitchen. Which was all a direct result of me, uh, having a bit of a meltdown about the fact that there weren't any veggies in the house the week before. (Not so proud of that, really. But hey, I am the kid who screamed for broccoli.)

We had a week of some of the best dinners I've had in awhile, both things that I am in love with and family favourites that I didn't realize were so popular. I didn't make anything new, really, but sometimes innovation is not necessary. Especially after I've been in a bit of a rut and don't have any new ideas, revisiting some old favourites can help me feel free in the kitchen again, and that's where inspiration comes from.

All that being said, this week I'm simply going to direct you to some of my greatest hits as a blast from the past. There's no sense reinventing the wheel, but when I keep getting rave reviews I have no problem tooting my own horn, just a little.

Cream Cheese Spinach Dip - I made a double batch for dinner, with some baked greek pita chips. I'm a little embarrassed to report that with three people eating there wasn't really any left over. I've made this one so many times that I don't even really consult the recipe anymore. This one was way heavy on the spinach and I about doubled the red pepper. Both are changes I highly encourage.

Butternut Squash Pasta - This I did a bit of a variation on. What surprised me was that this was a special request from my mom, and I hadn't realized she'd liked it so much to start with.

Cauliflower and Parsnip Soup - I have two favourite soups, and this is one of them. Nuff said.

Glazed Carrots - The original recipe also includes parsnips, but as you can see I'd already used mine up in the soup. These were served with chicken in a mushroom cream sauce, which is an older recipe of mine but hasn't made its way onto the site yet. (Although it's somewhat similar to this chicken and mushroom dish, just without the alcohol.)

But enough about me, especially since I don't have anything new going on here. What's been going on in your kitchen lately? Are you experimenting with new recipes, or kicking back and relying on some old standbys?

No comments:

Post a Comment