Pages

Tuesday, July 03, 2012

spiced butter drop cookies

I am so excited about these cookies. They're the first thing I've really baked since being at my mom's, and that's a little tiny thing to make me feel comfortable. We're in another heatwave, though, so it will likely be a little while until I do anymore baking. I don't need to bake myself.

I chose this recipe because it was simple, would be done quickly, and seemed interesting. Plus, it was so simple to adapt it from a more boring cookie to a spiced one. I just used the spices that caught my eye, but really you can add anything. The overwhelming taste that these cookies give is spice and butter. Oh, the butter cuts through everything and gives these such a lovely, melty mouthfeel. I'm pretty sure you don't need to chew these cookies, if you really don't want. They'll melt right in your mouth.

I got a real laugh when I finished these cookies, too. Bunny came home right as I was pulling the first batch off of the tray, and I promptly stuffed one in his mouth before he went out to fix a neighbour's weedwacker. Then, as I was in the midst of making a plate to take next door to his family (yeah, I still love saying that) his sister and her husband came running over asking for "Cookies, please! We have been sent for cookies!"

I've been told these cookies are amazing. They're certainly worth making, and they're a nice simple recipe. And, though I can't attest to this myself, I've heard that they are also pertty awesome with a touch of shredded cheddar cheese on top. (I'm related to weirdos, what can I say.)

Spiced Butter Drop Cookies
adapted from Cookies, 1,001 Mouthwatering Recipes from around the World by Reader's Digest

Ingredients
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp cloves
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup butter (seriously, use the real stuff)
  • 2/3 cups white sugar
  • 2 large eggs
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 325*F. Grease two cookie sheets.
  2. Put your butter in a medium sized microwave safe bowl. Melt the butter in the microwave, in ten second increments. Depending on your microwave's power, this can take between 15-45 seconds. Let the butter rest for about 10 minutes.
  3. Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cloves into a medium bowl.
  4. Add the sugar to the butter. Mix until it's a nice, even mess. Add the eggs and vanilla, and further mix until just blended.
  5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet. (You can do this all in one go here.) Mix until everything is evenly distributed and there are no lumps left. Because the butter has been melted, this will look (and feel) a fair bit looser (or more wet) than most cookie doughs do. Don't worry about that, it will be fine.
  6. Drop teaspoons of dough 2 inches apart on your greased cookie sheets.
  7. Bake for 15 - 18 minutes, until the edges just begin to brown.
  8. Cool of the tray for about 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to continue to cool.
  9. Eat these. Eat them all. (It only makes about 20, so it's totally doable if you have family around).

No comments:

Post a Comment