Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

recipe: chocolate sugar cookies

You all know that I bake a lot, right? And that I seem to be constantly making cookies? What you might not know is that these are some of my favourites. I'm also pretty sure I promised you this recipe, so here you go!

I snagged the recipe off of Smitten Kitchen and have kept with it, but for a few alterations. The first - and most important - is that I have completely changed how the ingredients are mixed. This cookie turns out ok with the original directions, but I have to be honest and tell you that I don't like it very much - it gets very grainy. The texture of this cookie really benefits from standard creaming of the butter and sugar.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar (You can cut this down a touch - but these cookies aren't overly sweet to me.)
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) room- temperature, unsalted butter
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 375* F. In a large bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt, stir to combine.
  2. In mixer or large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until well mixed and fluffy.
  3. Add the egg and vanilla, mix thoroughly. Once this is thoroughly incorporated slowly add the flour/cocoa mixture in 3-4 batches until combined.
  4. Place tablespoons of the dough approximately 2 inches apart on a lined cookie sheet, bake for 9 minutes. These will seem not quite "set" at the end of 9 minutes, and a little bit puffy, but will quickly deflate into cookie goodness. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment