Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Three Kitchen Projects plus upcoming busy-ness

I haven't really done all that much today, but a lot has gotten accomplished. It's actually continuing on the theme from Monday, where I played in my closet and organized things, put some things into semi-storage and put half a dozen items into consideration for donation. (If I don't want to wear them and come up with a good way to wear them in the next week or so, they're gone.) I even went through the bathroom cart and cleaned/rearranged/purged quite a bit. It was nice to feel like my things are in order and that I have a somewhat organized home.

Today's been a different story, though. It's been (of course) a story of the kitchen.

Project One: Oatmeal Bread is already in the bread machine and finishing its last rise. I half feel like I'm cheating, but that's ok. It's going to be delicious. This was actually the first type of bread I ever made in the machine. Now I'm noticing that I do throw a little caution to the wind with the recipe - I'm not as afraid to mix two recipes from the same book. The bread might not look perfectly, due to baking in the machine (although that's an easy fix!) but it generally turns out delicious.

Project Two: Caramelized Pear Upside-Down Cake found here, is just barely started. I've got all my ingredients prepared except the pears, and I'll in a few minutes I'll start peeling and slicing them and putting together my caramel. Most likely I'll mess with a few things here, and I'll certainly let you know how it goes.

Project Three: Dinner was originally going to be a spinach quiche with mozzarella, but now I'm not so sure I have a pie shell, or enough butter to make one. So, I'm likely going to turn that into a frittata, baked in the cast iron. I'm also thinking of tossing in some caramelized sweet onion and mushrooms. Maybe even some red pepper.

Beyond all that, there are some exciting things on the horizon.

A possible visit to a friend in Mississauga soon ,hopefully. If Bunny doesn't get sick we are having unValentines dinner at Terroni on Saturday. That was supposed to happen last weekend, as both of us preferred to avoid the day itself, but then I went and got all sickly.

Bunny and I also have some decorating to do around the house. We have things to put on our walls! Three small canvas paintings (a gift, a prize, and Bunny's work) as well as a statement mirror and an heirloom family print that my mother no longer wanted. Plus, we need to figure out where Wilbur (our bright red pig art. Yes, yes we do have that) should live and we might have to move the clock and the reproduction van Gogh (from my mom's friend, who also gave me a wedding dress) in order to make room for everything. It's driving us crazy having bits sitting everywhere. PLUS we need to look at all our photo frames, organize our photos and decide what we'd like to frame (we have about a million) and where we are going to put things.

I also have this sneaking suspicion that I might have to make carrot cake with cream cheese frosting this week. Yeah, that's going to happen. Plus I have a million frozen bananas. I should do something about those, too.

Oh! And we have to plan a wedding, mostly, still.

Yeah, I'm busy. I loves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment