Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

chinese new year dinner + spicy orange green beans

I'm a little embarrassed to say that I didn't entirely realise that today is Chinese New Year until I spoke to my mother last night, and was reminded of the fact when I was watching the news this morning. So, since our week's menu is very loosey goosey, it seemed natural to make up a Chinese inspired dinner.

Nothing fancy, really. Frozen pork and vegetables potstickers we'd bought on sale. Rice. The big gun was actually the beans today, because I wanted to spice things up a bit. I've done nicely sauted green beans before, often with a nice kick, and I hugely enjoy them. So I figured I'd share with Bunny and you.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 pound of green beans (or two good handfuls), ends trimmed off
  • 1 large clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 inch chunk of ginger, grated
  • 1 orange, zested and juiced (separately)
  • 1 teaspoon chili oil
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
Directions
  1. Bring a pot of water to boil. Blanche beans approximately 1 minute, quickly run under cold water or in an ice bath.
  2. Heat sesame oil in saute pan. Add garlic, quickly saute about 1 minute.
  3. Add beans, stir to coat with oil. At this point, add orange zest and chili oil . Saute another minute to two minutes.
  4. Add orange juice, saute another 2 minutes.
  5. Serve!
Seriously easy. You can adjust the chili oil up and orange juice up and down to change your heat levels and sweetness levels. Bunny rates this at a 4 on the heat scale (his scale has 11 as "too hot to handle". Don't ask.)

No comments:

Post a Comment